Rivendell

Monday, June 26, 2006

Montreal, the city to be


I've been living in Montreal since November 2005. All I can say is that this is the most amazing city in the world. Ok, in all fairness I haven't been all around the world yet, however, I've lived in a few cities and this one outshines them all. You can walk two blocks down the street and feel as though you've stumbled into a quaint European town. There are buildings here that have more history than the country I was born in.
The most amazing part is how cultural it is. Ive lived in Vancouver and Auckland, and I know that they pride themselves on being multi-cultural cities, however, they are more like cities with many cultures living seperatly and intergrating into the one mainstream culture that city demands. In Montreal however the cultures are all mixed in with eachother and everyone speaks their own languages without shame.
Don't get me wrong, I love Vancouver, and Auckland, and they have their own magic to offer the world. Its just that Ive never felt so free to be myself, in all my colours, than I do here.
I would suggest anyone living in Canada who hasnt come here to book a flight now and enjoy a piece of what makes Canadas history so rich. If you dont live in Canada, then make Montreal a pin on your map and make sure you experience this wonderful city.
Just this weekend I had a world of celebrations to choose from. There was the Grand Prix with all its glorious festivals on Crescent Street, or I could have walked in any park on saturday and joined in with the celebrations of Saint Jean Baptiste. There are Jazz festivals, marathons, druming parties, african dancing... the list goes on!
I guess in short I'm trying to say that Montreal is one of the only places left in the world where its great to be different, and besides, everything always sounds better in french.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home